Job Description, Daily Responsibilities, and Work Life
Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters use hand-welding or flame-cutting equipment to weld or join metal components or to fill holes, indentations, or seams of fabricated metal products. They also weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
Other tasks include:
- Operate safety equipment and use safe work habits.
- Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, calipers, and rulers.
- Examine workpieces for defects and measure workpieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment.
- Weld separately or in combination, using aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron, and other alloys.
- Clamp, hold, tack-weld, heat-bend, grind or bolt component parts to obtain required configurations and positions for welding.
We asked Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters how satisfied they are with their job. Here is what they said.
57% of them said they were satisfied with their job and 43% said they find that their job makes the world a better place or helps to make someone else’s life better.
Typical Day At Work
On a daily basis, Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters operate safety equipment and use safe work habits. They weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Remove rough spots from workpieces, using portable grinders, hand files, or scrapers.
- Connect and turn regulator valves to activate and adjust gas flow and pressure so that desired flames are obtained.
- Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or thick scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter.
- Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required.
- Select and install torches, torch tips, filler rods, and flux, according to welding chart specifications or types and thicknesses of metals.
We asked some Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters a few questions to find out what else does their work day look like. Here is what we found.
|Do you have telephone conversations everyday in this job?||22% said yes|
|How important is it to work in a team in this job?||43% said very important|
|Do you have group discussions everyday in this job?||73% said yes|
|Do you talk or work with customers everyday in this job?||25% said yes|
|Do you have to deal with angry customers everyday in this job?||3% said yes|
|Do you have to make decisions everyday in this job?||59% said yes|
Besides their typical day, Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters also gouge metals, using the air-arc gouging process. They may also operate brazing and soldering equipment.
On a weekly to monthly basis, Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters Mix and apply protective coatings to products. They might also Check grooves, angles, or gap allowances, using micrometers, calipers, and precision measuring instruments.
In addition, they Fill holes, and increase the size of metal parts.
Although specific duties may vary, many of them Guide and direct flames or electrodes on or across workpieces to straighten, bend, melt, or build up metal.
To some Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters, it is also their responsibility to Preheat workpieces prior to welding or bending, using torches or heating furnaces.
Standard 40 hour work week
Regular schedule like a 9 to 5
In a typical work week as a Welder, Cutter and Welder Fitter, you can expect to work 40 hour work week.
Do Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters work in an office-style work environment?
Do Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters work outdoors?
Is this right for me
The Builders and The Organizers
People who are suitable for this job tends to like work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They like working with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery..
They also like following set procedures and routines. They like working with data and details more than with ideas.
You can read more about these career personality types here.
Related to Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters Job Description
Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters job description, what do Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters do, typical day for Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters, what is it like to work as a Welder, Cutter and Welder Fitter, how many hours do Welders, Cutters and Welder Fitters work, day to day work of a Welder, Cutter and Welder Fitter