Day in the life of
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Instructor – Candice McDaniel
My name is Candice McDaniel and I am a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Instructor.
Monday through Friday I teach 2 separate kids classes for 45 minutes each. Then I manage the front desk for the adult classes in the evening. Once a month I also teach a Women’s Self Defense Class. I mostly spend my time instructing the children and women on proper Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu moves. I spend time demonstrating the moves and then I work to correct any issues with their technique.
Here is a breakdown of my typical day:
- Arrive at the martial arts gym about 45 minutes before class.
- Spend about 30 minutes cleaning the gym: sweep, mop, bathrooms, etc.
- Open the doors 15 minutes before class starts and greet the children and parents as they arrive.
- I’m responsible for entering new students into the system when they sign up.
- I answer any questions about our Jiu-Jisu program, membership, their student’s progress, etc.
- Then class starts and I spend the next few hours teaching Jiu-Jitsu.
- I’m available after class for the parents and kids to talk to me as needed as well.
- During the adult class, I train while also making sure I can stop and help any students who need to make payments, purchase gear, or help new students trying out a class.
For the Women’s Self Defense class, it’s a very similar process except it’s just once a month and I’m working with women instead of children. I also coordinate with the owner to promote the classes, give demonstrations and seminars, and run special events like in-house tournaments.
Overall my key responsibilities are:
- Upkeep and cleanliness of the gym.
- Greeting and assisting students with payments, registration, and guidance.
- Instructing students on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu techniques.
- Promotion of future classes.
- Assisting in demonstrations and seminars.
- Helping coordinate special events hosted by the gym.
- I get to spend a lot of time doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
- I get to stay physically active.
- I have my mornings free.
- I enjoy teaching kids and being a positive influence in their lives.
- I get to share a hobby that has had a positive impact on my life.
- My evenings are always busy so I can’t often do other things during the week.
- I tend to get home late at night.
- I don’t have much flexibility in my schedule.
- No one can easily replace me, so it’s hard to schedule time off.
- The pay isn’t very high unless you own your own gym.
- I don’t get any benefits like health insurance, dental, vision, etc.