In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Mechanical Engineers looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Mechanical Engineers[qs_listing areaofinterest=”MECHANICAL-ENGINEERING, ELECTRONICS-ENGINEERING, , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Mechanical Engineers
Here is a list of tasks that Mechanical Engineers do every day.
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, or computer-generated reports.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, or maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems or processes to meet requirements.
- Confer with engineers or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design, performance specifications, or environmental regulations.
- Perform personnel functions, such as supervision of production workers, technicians, technologists, or other engineers.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Mechanical Engineers do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Develop, coordinate, or monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, or operation of product designs.
- Investigate equipment failures or difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and recommend remedial actions.
- Develop or test models of alternate designs or processing methods to assess feasibility, sustainability, operating condition effects, potential new applications, or necessity of modification.
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Assist drafters in developing the structural design of products, using drafting tools or computer-assisted drafting equipment or software.
- How many hours do Mechanical Engineers work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Sounds, Noise Levels Are Distracting or Uncomfortable
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Learn more about Mechanical Engineers
Related careers to Mechanical Engineers
This career is also closely related to Air Conditioning Engineer, Application Engineer, Auto Research Engineer, Automation Engineer, Body Engineer, Brake Engineer, Car Designer, Combustion Engineer, Cooling and Heating Systems Design Engineer or Cryogenics Engineer.