Job Description, Daily Responsibilities, and Work Life
Mechatronics Engineers research, design, develop, or test automation, intelligent systems, smart devices, or industrial systems control. They also design engineering systems for the automation of industrial tasks.
Other tasks include:
- Create mechanical design documents for parts, assemblies, or finished products.
- Maintain technical project files.
- Design, develop, or implement control circuits or algorithms for electromechanical or pneumatic devices or systems.
- Implement or test design solutions.
- Create mechanical models and tolerance analyses to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
- Conduct studies to determine the feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new mechatronic equipment.
We asked Mechatronics Engineers how satisfied they are with their job. Here is what they said.
70% of them said they were satisfied with their job and 60% said they find that their job makes the world a better place or helps to make someone else’s life better.
Typical Day At Work
On a daily basis, Mechatronics Engineers maintain technical project files. They create embedded software design programs.
A typical day for a Mechatronics Engineer will also include:
- Design engineering systems for the automation of industrial tasks.
- Identify and select materials appropriate for mechatronic system designs.
- Analyze existing development or manufacturing procedures and suggest improvements.
- Design mechatronics components for computer-controlled products, such as cameras, video recorders, automobiles, or airplanes.
- Apply mechatronic or automated solutions to the transfer of materials, components, or finished goods.
We asked some Mechatronics Engineers a few questions to find out what else does their work day look like. Here is what we found.
|Do you have telephone conversations everyday in this job?||80% said yes|
|How important is it to work in a team in this job?||60% said very important|
|Do you have group discussions everyday in this job?||63% said yes|
|Do you talk or work with customers everyday in this job?||39% said yes|
|Do you have to deal with angry customers everyday in this job?||4% said yes|
|Do you have to make decisions everyday in this job?||50% said yes|
Besides their typical day, Mechatronics Engineers also design advanced precision equipment for accurate or controlled applications. They may also conduct studies to determine the feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new mechatronic equipment.
On a weekly to monthly basis, Mechatronics Engineers Publish engineering reports documenting design details or qualification test results. They might also Create mechanical design documents for parts, assemblies, or finished products.
In addition, they Develop electronic, mechanical, or computerized processes to perform tasks in dangerous situations, such as underwater exploration or extraterrestrial mining.
Although specific duties may vary, many of them Upgrade the design of existing devices by adding mechatronic elements.
To some Mechatronics Engineers, it is also their responsibility to Provide consultation or training on topics such as mechatronics or automated control.
More than 40 hours per week
Regular schedule like a 9 to 5
In a typical work week as a Mechatronics Engineer, you can expect to work more than 40 hours per week.
Do Mechatronics Engineers work in an office-style work environment?
Do Mechatronics Engineers work outdoors?
Is this right for me
The Thinkers and The Builders
People who are suitable for this job tends to like working with ideas, and require an extensive amount of thinking. They like searching for facts and figuring out problems mentally..
They also like work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They like working with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery.
You can read more about these career personality types here.
Related to Mechatronics Engineers Job Description
Mechatronics Engineers job description, what do Mechatronics Engineers do, typical day for Mechatronics Engineers, what is it like to work as a Mechatronics Engineer, how many hours do Mechatronics Engineers work, day to day work of a Mechatronics Engineer