In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Ship and Boat Captains looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Ship and Boat Captains[qs_listing areaofinterest=”, LOGISTICS-MANAGEMENT, , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Ship and Boat Captains
Here is a list of tasks that Ship and Boat Captains do every day.
- Steer and operate vessels, using radios, depth finders, radars, lights, buoys, or lighthouses.
- Dock or undock vessels, sometimes maneuvering through narrow spaces, such as locks.
- Adjust navigation according to weather conditions.
- Inspect vessels to ensure efficient and safe operation of vessels and equipment and conformance to regulations.
- Read gauges to verify sufficient levels of hydraulic fluid, air pressure, or oxygen.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Ship and Boat Captains do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Conduct safety drills with crew.
- Arrange for ships to be fueled, restocked with supplies, or repaired.
- Purchase supplies or equipment.
- Assign watches or living quarters to crew members.
- How many hours do Ship and Boat Captains work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Not Environmentally Controlled
Outdoors, Exposed to Weather
In an Open Vehicle or Equipment
In an Enclosed Vehicle or Equipment
Sounds, Noise Levels Are Distracting or Uncomfortable
Extremely Bright or Inadequate Lighting
Exposed to Contaminants
Exposed to Whole Body Vibration
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Learn more about Ship and Boat Captains
Related careers to Ship and Boat Captains
This career is also closely related to Barge Captain, Barge Master, Boat Captain, Boat Master, Boat Operator, Boatswain, Canal Boat Captain, Canal Boat Operator, Captain or Charter Boat Captain.