In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Nuclear Power Reactor Operators looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Video coming soon
Top 2 Featured Schools For Nuclear Power Reactor Operators[qs_listing areaofinterest=”MATH-SCIENCE, , , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
Here is a list of tasks that Nuclear Power Reactor Operators do every day.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Nuclear Power Reactor Operators do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- How many hours do Nuclear Power Reactor Operators work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Exposed to Radiation
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Learn more about Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
Related careers to Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers and Material Movers
Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service and Groundskeeping Workers
This career is also closely related to Control Room Operator, Control Room Supervisor, Equipment Operator, Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator, Licensed Reactor Operator, Nuclear Control Operator, Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator, Nuclear Control Room Operator, Nuclear Operator or Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO).