In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Oil and Gas Derrick Operators looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Oil and Gas Derrick Operators[qs_listing areaofinterest=”VOCATIONAL-TRADE, , , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Oil and Gas Derrick Operators
Here is a list of tasks that Oil and Gas Derrick Operators do every day.
- Inspect derricks for flaws, and clean and oil derricks to maintain proper working conditions.
- Control the viscosity and weight of the drilling fluid.
- Listen to mud pumps and check regularly for vibration and other problems to ensure that rig pumps and drilling mud systems are working properly.
- Start pumps that circulate mud through drill pipes and boreholes to cool drill bits and flush out drill cuttings.
- Position and align derrick elements, using harnesses and platform climbing devices.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Oil and Gas Derrick Operators do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Inspect derricks, or order their inspection, prior to being raised or lowered.
- Repair pumps, mud tanks, and related equipment.
- Set and bolt crown blocks to posts at tops of derricks.
- Guide lengths of pipe into and out of elevators.
- String cables through pulleys and blocks.
- How many hours do Oil and Gas Derrick Operators work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Irregular (Changes with weather conditions, production demands or contract duration)
Outdoors, Exposed to Weather
Sounds, Noise Levels Are Distracting or Uncomfortable
Very Hot or Cold Temperatures
Extremely Bright or Inadequate Lighting
Exposed to Contaminants
Exposed to Whole Body Vibration
Exposed to High Places
Exposed to Hazardous Conditions
Exposed to Hazardous Equipment
Exposed to Minor Burns, Cuts, Bites, or Stings
Learn more about Oil and Gas Derrick Operators
Related careers to Oil and Gas Derrick Operators
This career is also closely related to Derrick Hand, Derrick Man, Derrick Operator, Derrick Worker, Driller, Floor Hand, Gas Derrick Operator, Oil Derrick Operator, Rotary Derrick Operator or Well Service Derrick Worker.