In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Ship Pilots looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Ship Pilots[qs_listing areaofinterest=”, LOGISTICS-MANAGEMENT, , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Ship Pilots
Here is a list of tasks that Ship Pilots do every day.
- Direct courses and speeds of ships, based on specialized knowledge of local winds, weather, water depths, tides, currents, and hazards.
- Steer ships into or out of berths or signal tugboat captains to berth or unberth ships.
- Set ships’ courses that avoid reefs, outlying shoals, or other hazards, using navigational aids, such as lighthouses or buoys.
- Prevent ships under their navigational control from engaging in unsafe operations.
- Serve as a vessel’s docking master upon arrival at a port or when at a berth.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Ship Pilots do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Provide assistance to vessels approaching or leaving seacoasts, navigating harbors, or docking and undocking.
- Oversee cargo storage on or below decks.
- How many hours do Ship Pilots work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Irregular (Changes with weather conditions, production demands or contract duration)
Indoors, Not Environmentally Controlled
Outdoors, Exposed to Weather
Outdoors, Under Cover
In an Enclosed Vehicle or Equipment
Sounds, Noise Levels Are Distracting or Uncomfortable
Extremely Bright or Inadequate Lighting
Exposed to Contaminants
Exposed to Whole Body Vibration
Exposed to High Places
Exposed to Hazardous Conditions
Learn more about Ship Pilots
Related careers to Ship Pilots
This career is also closely related to Area Relief Pilot, Bar Pilot, Barge Pilot, Boat Pilot, Canal Driver, Docking Pilot, Ferry Pilot, Ferryboat Pilot, Harbor Pilot or Marine Pilot.