Job Description, Daily Responsibilities, and Work Life
Municipal Clerks draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
Municipal Clerks draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs. They also record and edit the minutes of meetings and distribute to appropriate officials or staff members.
Other tasks include:
- Issue public notification of all official activities or meetings.
- Record and maintain all vital and fiscal records and accounts.
- Prepare meeting agendas or packets of related information.
- Participate in the administration of municipal elections, such as preparation or distribution of ballots, appointment or training of election officers, or tabulation or certification of results.
- Prepare ordinances, resolutions, or proclamations so that they can be executed, recorded, archived, or distributed.
- Maintain and update documents, such as municipal codes or city charters.
We asked Municipal Clerks how satisfied they are with their job. Here is what they said.
74% of them said they were satisfied with their job and 56% said they find that their job makes the world a better place or helps to make someone else’s life better.
Typical Day At Work
On a daily basis, Municipal Clerks record and maintain all vital and fiscal records and accounts. They plan and direct the maintenance, filing, safekeeping, and computerization of all municipal documents.
A typical day for a Municipal Clerk will also include:
- Perform general office duties, such as taking or transcribing dictation, typing or proofreading correspondence, distributing or filing official forms, or scheduling appointments.
- Coordinate or maintain office tracking systems for correspondence or follow-up actions.
- Respond to requests for information from the public, other municipalities, state officials, or state and federal legislative offices.
- Issue various permits and licenses, such as marriage, fishing, hunting, or dog licenses, and collect appropriate fees.
- Serve as a notary of the public.
We asked some Municipal Clerks a few questions to find out what else does their work day look like. Here is what we found.
|Do you have telephone conversations everyday in this job?||84% said yes|
|How important is it to work in a team in this job?||41% said very important|
|Do you have group discussions everyday in this job?||92% said yes|
|Do you talk or work with customers everyday in this job?||46% said yes|
|Do you have to deal with angry customers everyday in this job?||16% said yes|
|Do you have to make decisions everyday in this job?||13% said yes|
Besides their typical day, Municipal Clerks also prepare meeting agendas or packets of related information. They may also record and edit the minutes of meetings and distribute to appropriate officials or staff members.
On a weekly to monthly basis, Municipal Clerks Issue public notification of all official activities or meetings. They might also Process claims against the municipality, maintaining files and log of claims, and coordinate claim response and handling with municipal claims administrators.
In addition, they Prepare ordinances, resolutions, or proclamations so that they can be executed, recorded, archived, or distributed.
Although specific duties may vary, many of them Collaborate with other staff to assist in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, or priorities.
To some Municipal Clerks, it is also their responsibility to Perform contract administration duties, assisting with bid openings or the awarding of contracts.
Standard 40 hour work week
Regular schedule like a 9 to 5
In a typical work week as a Municipal Clerk, you can expect to work 40 hour work week.
Do Municipal Clerks work in an office-style work environment?
Do Municipal Clerks work outdoors?
Is this right for me
The Organizers and The Entrepreneurs
People who are suitable for this job tends to like following set procedures and routines. They like working with data and details more than with ideas..
They also like starting up and carrying out projects. They like leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.
You can read more about these career personality types here.
Related to Municipal Clerks Job Description
Municipal Clerks job description, what do Municipal Clerks do, typical day for Municipal Clerks, what is it like to work as a Municipal Clerk, how many hours do Municipal Clerks work, day to day work of a Municipal Clerk