In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Surgical Technologists looks like
- What do they do every day
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Surgical Technologists[qs_listing areaofinterest=”MEDICAL-ASSISTING, SURGICAL-TECHNOLOGY, SURGICAL-TECHNOLOGY, , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Surgical Technologists
Here is a list of tasks that Surgical Technologists do every day.
- Maintain a proper sterile field during surgical procedures.
- Count sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation.
- Scrub arms and hands and assist the surgical team to scrub and put on gloves, masks, and surgical clothing.
- Provide technical assistance to surgeons, surgical nurses, or anesthesiologists.
- Prepare patients for surgery, including positioning patients on the operating table and covering them with sterile surgical drapes to prevent exposure.
- How many hours do Surgical Technologists work per week? 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Exposed to Contaminants
Cramped Work Space, Awkward Positions
Exposed to Disease or Infections
Exposed to Hazardous Conditions
Exposed to Minor Burns, Cuts, Bites, or Stings
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Wear Specialized Protective or Safety Equipment such as Breathing Apparatus, Safety Harness, Full Protection Suits, or Radiation Protection
Learn more about Surgical Technologists
Related careers to Surgical Technologists
This career is also closely related to Anesthesia Technician, Certified Surgical Tech/First Assistant, Certified Surgical Technician, Certified Surgical Technologist (CST), Operating Room Surgical Technician (OR St), Operating Room Technician (OR Tech), Operating Room Technologist (OR Tech), Scrub Technician, Surgeon’s Assistant or Surgery Technician (Surgery Tech).