In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters[qs_listing areaofinterest=”VOCATIONAL-TRADE, VOCATIONAL-TRADE, , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
Here is a list of tasks that Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters do every day.
- Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
- Move parts into position, manually or with hoists or cranes.
- Position, align, fit, and weld parts to form complete units or subunits, following blueprints and layout specifications, and using jigs, welding torches, and hand tools.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences.
- Set up and operate fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, grinders, and drill presses, to bend, cut, form, punch, drill, or otherwise form and assemble metal components.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Align and fit parts according to specifications, using jacks, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, and hammers.
- Set up face blocks, jigs, and fixtures.
- Position or tighten braces, jacks, clamps, ropes, or bolt straps, or bolt parts in position for welding or riveting.
- Locate and mark workpiece bending and cutting lines, allowing for stock thickness, machine and welding shrinkage, and other component specifications.
- Erect ladders and scaffolding to fit together large assemblies.
- How many hours do Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters work per week? 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Irregular (Changes with weather conditions, production demands or contract duration)
Indoors, Not Environmentally Controlled
In an Open Vehicle or Equipment
Sounds, Noise Levels Are Distracting or Uncomfortable
Extremely Bright or Inadequate Lighting
Exposed to Contaminants
Exposed to Hazardous Equipment
Exposed to Minor Burns, Cuts, Bites, or Stings
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Learn more about Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
Related careers to Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators and Tenders
Fabric and Apparel Patternmakers
Crushing, Grinding and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators and Tenders
Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
This career is also closely related to Cage Maker, Machine, Fabricator, Fabricator Assembler Metal Products, Fitter, Fitter, Welder, Ground Support Equipment Assembler, Hand Former, Layout Man, Metal Box Maker or Metal Fabricator.