In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Program Directors looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Program Directors[qs_listing areaofinterest=”TELEVISION-PRODUCTION-EDITING, THEATER, THEATER, MUSIC-PRODUCTION, THEATER” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Program Directors
Here is a list of tasks that Program Directors do every day.
- Plan and schedule programming and event coverage, based on broadcast length, time availability, and other factors, such as community needs, ratings data, and viewer demographics.
- Coordinate activities between departments, such as news and programming.
- Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in broadcast news, sports, or programming.
- Monitor and review programming to ensure that schedules are met, guidelines are adhered to, and performances are of adequate quality.
- Check completed program logs for accuracy and conformance with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations and resolve program log inaccuracies.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Program Directors do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Perform personnel duties, such as hiring staff and evaluating work performance.
- Select, acquire, and maintain programs, music, films, and other needed materials and obtain legal clearances for their use as necessary.
- Direct setup of remote facilities and install or cancel programs at remote stations.
- Conduct interviews for broadcasts.
- Cue announcers, actors, performers, and guests.
- How many hours do Program Directors work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Learn more about Program Directors
Related careers to Program Directors
This career is also closely related to Assistant GM of Content & Delivery, Assistant News Director, Broadcast Operations Director, Cable Television Program Director, Director, Director of Content and Programming, Director of Programming, Director of Programming and Special Events, Director of Public Affairs, Programming and Special Promotions or Educational Programming Director.