In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Utilities Meter Readers looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Utilities Meter Readers[qs_listing areaofinterest=”, , , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Utilities Meter Readers
Here is a list of tasks that Utilities Meter Readers do every day.
- Read electric, gas, water, or steam consumption meters and enter data in route books or hand-held computers.
- Walk or drive vehicles along established routes to take readings of meter dials.
- Upload into office computers all information collected on hand-held computers during meter rounds, or return route books or hand-held computers to business offices so that data can be compiled.
- Verify readings in cases where consumption appears to be abnormal, and record possible reasons for fluctuations.
- Inspect meters for unauthorized connections, defects, and damage such as broken seals.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Utilities Meter Readers do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Report to service departments any problems such as meter irregularities, damaged equipment, or impediments to meter access, including dogs.
- Leave messages to arrange different times to read meters in cases in which meters are not accessible.
- Collect past-due bills.
- How many hours do Utilities Meter Readers work per week? 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Not Environmentally Controlled
Outdoors, Exposed to Weather
In an Enclosed Vehicle or Equipment
Exposed to Contaminants
Exposed to Minor Burns, Cuts, Bites, or Stings
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Learn more about Utilities Meter Readers
Related careers to Utilities Meter Readers
This career is also closely related to Customer Field Representative, Electric Meter Reader, Field Service Engineer, Field Technician, Fieldman, Gas Meter Reader, Meter Reader, Meter Reader Inspector, Meter Reading Clerk or Meter Record Clerk.