In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Mental Health Counselors looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Mental Health Counselors[qs_listing areaofinterest=”SUBSTANCE-ABUSE-ADDICTION-COUNSELING, SOCIAL-WORK, PASTORAL-COUNSELING, MENTAL-HEALTH-COUNSELING, ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Mental Health Counselors
Here is a list of tasks that Mental Health Counselors do every day.
- Maintain confidentiality of records relating to clients’ treatment.
- Encourage clients to express their feelings and discuss what is happening in their lives, helping them to develop insight into themselves or their relationships.
- Collect information about clients through interviews, observation, or tests.
- Assess patients for risk of suicide attempts.
- Fill out and maintain client-related paperwork, including federal- and state-mandated forms, client diagnostic records, and progress notes.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Mental Health Counselors do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Perform crisis interventions with clients.
- Act as client advocates to coordinate required services or to resolve emergency problems in crisis situations.
- Modify treatment activities or approaches as needed to comply with changes in clients’ status.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counseling programs on clients’ progress in resolving identified problems and moving towards defined objectives.
- Meet with families, probation officers, police, or other interested parties to exchange necessary information during the treatment process.
- How many hours do Mental Health Counselors work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Learn more about Mental Health Counselors
Related careers to Mental Health Counselors
This career is also closely related to Behavior Analyst, Behavior Support Specialist (BSS), Bereavement Counselor, Case Manager, Child Care Counselor, Clinical Mental Health Counselor, Clinician, Correctional Counselor, Corrections Caseworker or Counselor.