In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Mechanical Drafters looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Mechanical Drafters[qs_listing areaofinterest=”CAD-CADD-COMPUTER-AIDED-DRAFTING-DESIGN, CAD-CADD-COMPUTER-AIDED-DRAFTING-DESIGN, CAD-CADD-COMPUTER-AIDED-DRAFTING-DESIGN, , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Mechanical Drafters
Here is a list of tasks that Mechanical Drafters do every day.
- Develop detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies, tools, and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
- Lay out and draw schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
- Coordinate with and consult other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems.
- Review and analyze specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
- Position instructions and comments onto drawings.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Mechanical Drafters do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Check dimensions of materials to be used and assign numbers to the materials.
- Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Compute mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment.
- Draw freehand sketches of designs, trace finished drawings onto designated paper for the reproduction of blueprints, and reproduce working drawings on copy machines.
- How many hours do Mechanical Drafters work per week? 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Learn more about Mechanical Drafters
Related careers to Mechanical Drafters
This career is also closely related to Aeronautical Drafter, Auto Design Detailer, Autocad Designer, Autocad Technician, Automotive Design Drafter, Automotive Design Layout Drafter, Body Design Checker, Body Designer, CAD Designer (Computer Aided Design Designer) or CAD Designer (Computer-Aided Design Designer).