In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Gem and Diamond Workers looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Gem and Diamond Workers[qs_listing areaofinterest=”APPLIANCE-INSTALLATION-REPAIR, JEWELRY-DESIGN, , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Gem and Diamond Workers
Here is a list of tasks that Gem and Diamond Workers do every day.
- Examine gems during processing to ensure accuracy of angles and positions of cuts or bores, using magnifying glasses, loupes, or shadowgraphs.
- Assign polish, symmetry, and clarity grades to stones, according to established grading systems.
- Estimate wholesale and retail value of gems, following pricing guides, market fluctuations, and other relevant economic factors.
- Examine diamonds or gems to ascertain the shape, cut, and width of cut stones, or to select the cuts that will result in the biggest, best quality stones.
- Hold stones, gems, dies, or styluses against rotating plates, wheels, saws, or slitters to cut, shape, slit, grind, or polish them.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Gem and Diamond Workers do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Regulate the speed of revolutions and reciprocating actions of drilling mechanisms.
- Replace, true, and sharpen blades, drills, and plates.
- Secure stones in metal mountings, using solder.
- How many hours do Gem and Diamond Workers work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Irregular (Changes with weather conditions, production demands or contract duration)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Exposed to Contaminants
Learn more about Gem and Diamond Workers
Related careers to Gem and Diamond Workers
This career is also closely related to Bench Jeweler, Brilliandeer Lopper, Diamond Assorter, Diamond Cleaner, Diamond Cleaver, Diamond Cutter, Diamond Die Driller, Diamond Die Polisher, Diamond Driller or Diamond Grader.