In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Educational, Guidance, School and Vocational Counselors looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Educational, Guidance, School and Vocational Counselors[qs_listing areaofinterest=”SCHOOL-COUNSELING, SCHOOL-COUNSELING, SCHOOL-COUNSELING, , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Educational, Guidance, School and Vocational Counselors
Here is a list of tasks that Educational, Guidance, School and Vocational Counselors do every day.
- Counsel individuals to help them understand and overcome personal, social, or behavioral problems affecting their educational or vocational situations.
- Provide crisis intervention to students when difficult situations occur at schools.
- Confer with parents or guardians, teachers, administrators, and other professionals to discuss children’s progress, resolve behavioral, academic, and other problems, and to determine priorities for students and their resource needs.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Prepare students for later educational experiences by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Educational, Guidance, School and Vocational Counselors do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Counsel students regarding educational issues, such as course and program selection, class scheduling and registration, school adjustment, truancy, study habits, and career planning.
- Conduct follow-up interviews with counselees to determine if their needs have been met.
- Instruct individuals in career development techniques such as job search and application strategies, resume writing, and interview skills.
- Assess needs for assistance such as rehabilitation, financial aid, or additional vocational training, and refer clients to the appropriate services.
- Observe students during classroom and play activities to evaluate students’ performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- How many hours do Educational, Guidance, School and Vocational Counselors work per week? More than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Learn more about Educational, Guidance, School and Vocational Counselors
Related careers to Educational, Guidance, School and Vocational Counselors
This career is also closely related to Academic Advisement Director, Academic Adviser, Academic Advising Director, Academic Advisor, Academic Coordinator, Academic Counselor, Admissions Advisor, Admissions Counselor, Admissions Director or Adolescent Counselor.