In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Dentists looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Dentists[qs_listing areaofinterest=”DENTAL-TECHNOLOGY, DENTAL-TECHNOLOGY, DENTAL-TECHNOLOGY, , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Dentists
Here is a list of tasks that Dentists do every day.
- Use masks, gloves, and safety glasses to protect patients and self from infectious diseases.
- Examine teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, or other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments.
- Administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures.
- Use dental air turbines, hand instruments, dental appliances, or surgical implements.
- Formulate plan of treatment for patient’s teeth and mouth tissue.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Dentists do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Write prescriptions for antibiotics or other medications.
- Fill pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials.
- Treat exposure of pulp by pulp capping, removal of pulp from pulp chamber, or root canal, using dental instruments.
- Remove diseased tissue, using surgical instruments.
- Eliminate irritating margins of fillings and correct occlusions, using dental instruments.
- How many hours do Dentists work per week? Less than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Sounds, Noise Levels Are Distracting or Uncomfortable
Exposed to Contaminants
Cramped Work Space, Awkward Positions
Exposed to Radiation
Exposed to Disease or Infections
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Wear Specialized Protective or Safety Equipment such as Breathing Apparatus, Safety Harness, Full Protection Suits, or Radiation Protection
Learn more about Dentists
Related careers to Dentists
This career is also closely related to Associate Dentist, Dental Intern, Dental Officer, Dental Surgery Doctor (DDS), Dentist, Dentist/Owner, Doctor, Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD), Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Endodontist.