In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Dental Laboratory Technicians looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Dental Laboratory Technicians[qs_listing areaofinterest=”DENTAL-TECHNOLOGY, , , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Dental Laboratory Technicians
Here is a list of tasks that Dental Laboratory Technicians do every day.
- Read prescriptions or specifications and examine models or impressions to determine the design of dental products to be constructed.
- Test appliances for conformance to specifications and accuracy of occlusion, using articulators and micrometers.
- Melt metals or mix plaster, porcelain, or acrylic pastes and pour materials into molds or over frameworks to form dental prostheses or apparatus.
- Create a model of patient’s mouth by pouring plaster into a dental impression and allowing plaster to set.
- Place tooth models on apparatus that mimics bite and movement of patient’s jaw to evaluate functionality of model.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Dental Laboratory Technicians do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Rebuild or replace linings, wire sections, or missing teeth to repair dentures.
- Prepare wax bite blocks and impression trays for use.
- Fill chipped or low spots in surfaces of devices, using acrylic resins.
- How many hours do Dental Laboratory Technicians work per week? 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Exposed to Contaminants
Exposed to Disease or Infections
Exposed to Hazardous Conditions
Exposed to Hazardous Equipment
Exposed to Minor Burns, Cuts, Bites, or Stings
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Learn more about Dental Laboratory Technicians
Related careers to Dental Laboratory Technicians
This career is also closely related to Crown and Bridge Dental Lab Technician, Crown and Bridge Technician, Crown Ceramist, Dental Appliance Fixer, Dental Appliance Mechanic, Dental Appliance Repairer, Dental Ceramist, Dental Ceramist Assistant, Dental Equipment Installer and Servicer or Dental Instrument Maker.