In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Cytogenetic Technologists looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Cytogenetic Technologists[qs_listing areaofinterest=”HISTOLOGIC-TECHNOLOGY, MEDICAL-LABORATORY-TECHNOLOGY, HISTOLOGIC-TECHNOLOGY, HISTOLOGIC-TECHNOLOGY, LABORATORY-SCIENCE” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Cytogenetic Technologists
Here is a list of tasks that Cytogenetic Technologists do every day.
- Count numbers of chromosomes and identify the structural abnormalities by viewing culture slides through microscopes, light microscopes, or photomicroscopes.
- Arrange and attach chromosomes in numbered pairs on karyotype charts, using standard genetics laboratory practices and nomenclature, to identify normal or abnormal chromosomes.
- Analyze chromosomes found in biological specimens to aid diagnoses and treatments for genetic diseases such as congenital birth defects, fertility problems, and hematological disorders.
- Examine chromosomes found in biological specimens to detect abnormalities.
- Create chromosome images using computer imaging systems.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Cytogenetic Technologists do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Communicate test results or technical information to patients, physicians, family members, or researchers.
- Communicate to responsible parties unacceptable specimens and suggest remediation for future submissions.
- How many hours do Cytogenetic Technologists work per week? 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Exposed to Contaminants
Exposed to Disease or Infections
Exposed to Hazardous Conditions
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Learn more about Cytogenetic Technologists
Related careers to Cytogenetic Technologists
This career is also closely related to Clinical Cytogeneticist Scientist (CCS), Clinical Laboratory Specialist in Cytogenetics (CLSp(CG)), Cytogenetic Technician, Cytogenetic Technologist, Cytogenetics Laboratory Manager (Cytogenetics Lab Manager), Cytologist, Genetic Technologist, Head of Cytogenetics, Lead Cytogenetic Technologist or Lead Technologist in Cytogenetics.