In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Community Health Workers looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Community Health Workers[qs_listing areaofinterest=”COMMUNICATIONS-MEDIA, HEALTH-HEALTHCARE-NURSING, COMMUNITY-HEALTH-COUNSELING, PUBLIC-HEALTH, PUBLIC-HEALTH” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Community Health Workers
Here is a list of tasks that Community Health Workers do every day.
- Maintain updated client records with plans, notes, appropriate forms, or related information.
- Advise clients or community groups on issues related to improving general health, such as diet or exercise.
- Contact clients in person, by phone, or in writing to ensure they have completed required or recommended actions.
- Advise clients or community groups on issues related to diagnostic screenings, such as breast cancer screening, pap smears, glaucoma tests, or diabetes screenings.
- Advise clients or community groups on issues related to risk or prevention of conditions such as lead poisoning, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), prenatal substance abuse, or domestic violence.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Community Health Workers do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Identify or contact members of high-risk or otherwise targeted groups, such as members of minority populations, low-income populations, or pregnant women.
- Distribute flyers, brochures, or other informational or educational documents to inform members of a targeted community.
- Refer community members to needed health services.
- Attend community meetings or health fairs to understand community issues or build relationships with community members.
- Perform basic diagnostic procedures, such as blood pressure screening, breast cancer screening, or communicable disease screening.
- How many hours do Community Health Workers work per week? Less than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Learn more about Community Health Workers
Related careers to Community Health Workers
This career is also closely related to Apprise Counselor, Assistant Director of Nutrition and Wellness Programs, Chief Program Officer, Community Health Advisor, Community Health Advocate, Community Health Agent, Community Health Counselor, Community Health Navigator, Community Health Outreach Worker or Community Health Program Coordinator.