In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Archivists looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Archivists[qs_listing areaofinterest=”HISTORY, HISTORY, PUBLIC-POLICY, HISTORY, LIBERAL-ARTS” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Archivists
Here is a list of tasks that Archivists do every day.
- Organize archival records and develop classification systems to facilitate access to archival materials.
- Provide reference services and assistance for users needing archival materials.
- Create and maintain accessible, retrievable computer archives and databases, incorporating current advances in electronic information storage technology.
- Direct activities of workers who assist in arranging, cataloguing, exhibiting, and maintaining collections of valuable materials.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Archivists do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Prepare archival records, such as document descriptions, to allow easy access to information.
- Authenticate and appraise historical documents and archival materials.
- Preserve records, documents, and objects, copying records to film, videotape, audiotape, disk, or computer formats as necessary.
- Locate new materials and direct their acquisition and display.
- Coordinate educational and public outreach programs, such as tours, workshops, lectures, and classes.
- How many hours do Archivists work per week? 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Learn more about Archivists
Related careers to Archivists
This career is also closely related to Archival Records Clerk, Archives and Historical Documents Director, Archives and Rare Books Division Curator, Archives Director, Archivist, Collections Director, Collections Manager, Curator, Curator of Manuscripts or Curatorial Specialist.