In this day in the life guide, you will find out:
- What does a day as Animal Breeders looks like
- What do they do every day
- Things they do on a weekly or monthly basis
- How many hours do they work
The purpose of this is to give you a clear picture of this career so you can make a better career decision on whether this career is suitable for you or not.
Top 2 Featured Schools For Animal Breeders[qs_listing areaofinterest=”MATH-SCIENCE, MATH-SCIENCE, , , ” maxresults=”2″]
Typical Day for Animal Breeders
Here is a list of tasks that Animal Breeders do every day.
- Feed and water animals, and clean and disinfect pens, cages, yards, and hutches.
- Examine animals to detect symptoms of illness or injury.
- Observe animals in heat to detect approach of estrus and exercise animals to induce or hasten estrus, if necessary.
- Adjust controls to maintain specific building temperatures required for animals’ health and safety.
Weekly and Monthly Tasks
Here is a list of tasks that Animal Breeders do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Treat minor injuries and ailments and contact veterinarians to obtain treatment for animals with serious illnesses or injuries.
- Record animal characteristics such as weights, growth patterns, and diets.
- Clip or shear hair on animals.
- Package and label semen to be used for artificial insemination, recording information such as the date, source, quality, and concentration.
- Prepare containers of semen for freezing and storage or shipment, placing them in dry ice or liquid nitrogen.
- How many hours do Animal Breeders work per week? Less than 40 hours per week
- What is the work schedule like? Regular (Set schedule and routine)
Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
Indoors, Not Environmentally Controlled
Outdoors, Exposed to Weather
Outdoors, Under Cover
Sounds, Noise Levels Are Distracting or Uncomfortable
Very Hot or Cold Temperatures
Exposed to Contaminants
Wear Common Protective or Safety Equipment such as Safety Shoes, Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Hard Hats, or Life Jackets
Learn more about Animal Breeders
Related careers to Animal Breeders
This career is also closely related to Animal Breeder, Animal Husbandman, Animal Husbandry Technician, Animal Technician, Artificial Insemination Technician (AI Technician), Artificial Inseminator, Aviculturist, Bee Breeder, Breeder or Breeding Manager.